Me and Erik

Me and Erik

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

PS--A little more background

I was trying to rush through the first blog that I forgot to give a little background on what the doctors have said about our infertility.
Erik and I fall under the catagory of unexplained. When I first went to the OB doctor they thought my progesterone levels (showing ovulation) could be up a little higher..they were normal and showed I was ovulating but she went ahead and gave me clomid (a drug to stimulate ovulation). I tried that for 6 months and nothing.
We then went to our fertility doctor. He again put me on clomid and we did 4 rounds of IUI (artificial insemination) and again nothing. Then we decided to take a break and save up some money since it was starting to drain our savings (Insurance doesn't pay a cent). So last summer when we were on a break I actually found out I was pregnant. We were SO excited and couldn't believe it. After 4 years of trying we were finally going to have a baby! We sat in what we thought would be the baby's room and just talked about how thrilled we were and all of our future plans. But at 6 1/2 weeks we lost the baby. It was the most devestating thing I've been through.
We finally went back to the fertility clinic in Feb. of this year. We tried a new drug, Femara, then did 3 more rounds of IUI. Nothing!
At this point financially we can't keep doing all of these "small" things that aren't working. It adds up. So yes in vitro is extremely expensive but also has the highest chance of working and after talking to my doctor he feels pretty confident that this will work the first time. So here we are.
Now I think everyone should be all caught up. :) Again keep praying for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment