Me and Erik

Me and Erik

Monday, August 2, 2010

Appointments...

We had a good weekend. Erik's brother, Ehren, and his girlfriend came to visit us yesterday and we had a good time. Erik, of course, had to work Saturday but we were able to make it to a late dinner together. We try to squeeze as much time together on the weekends as we can. He's been working 4 nights a week on top of his normal 40 hours at John Deere Credit. I am so thankful though. It's hard that he's gone working so much but I know he does it so that we can "afford" these treatments. I appreciate him more then he will ever know.
We had an appointment to meet with our doctor a little over a week ago now. At this appointment he gave us a quick overview of in vitro. He told us medically speaking that this was our next and best option. He was waiting for us to come to this decision since it's not right for everyone and you have to be ready to do it. He was very encouraging saying that he thought because of our age and history he was fairly confident that this would work. Also Mid-Iowa Fertility's success rates for in vitro our higher then average. I think average success rates are around 55% and Mid-Iowa Fertility is in the somewhere in the mid 60's %. He said one of the risk is that I could over stimulate (meaning cysts and extra fluid) but that he said he has only needed to cancel IVF one time because of this.
I can give you a quick overview but will know more after we take the IVF class. First you have to do some pre-screening tests which luckily I've already done most of them. I have an appointment on Wednesday for a Sonogram and some standard labs. The sonogram is to check for any abnormalities in the uterus. I have already had X-rays which show that should be all normal. Then the labs they have to take to make sure I don't have Hepatitis and HIV which obviously I am not worried about. :)
Then because I leave on vacation August 29th, I have to wait till I get back to start the process. I guess when I get back I have to be on birth control for 20 days. I guess this is supposed to get all of the follicles grouped together to produce eggs at the same time...I dont' really know but he said something like that. :) Then I have to give myself a couple of shots a day. I am not going to lie, this freaks me out. I hate shots!! Giving blood is different...but when they shoot something into me, that's a whole different story. It's even scarier knowing either I or Erik will have to give them to me and neither of us are a trained professional. ha ha Then I will have to be put under and they go retrieve the eggs and fertilize them that day and 5 days after that he will put them back in me. He said because of my age, as long as they are good eggs, he will put 1 or 2 back in. He will leave that decision to us. We will have our class soon on IVF so if there is anymore information I will let you know after that.
I know although this seems that the doctor is in control of all of this I know that ultimately God is. I am thankful He gives doctors the knowledge and skill to do this.
Please pray that this will work. This is the last option and I am so scared to think what will happen if this doesn't work. Again, I know God is in control and His will will be done regardless but it is still scary to think about. Thank you for praying for us during this time. It's comforting to know that alot of people are speaking to God on our behalf. How humbling!

3 comments:

  1. Maelynne, a couple things:
    First, I had OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) with my fertility treatments for Bennett. I had lots of swelling and about a dozen cysts on my ovaries. It is not very comfortable but if it happens you should be OK after a couple weeks and everything will go back to normal. And I still got pregnant with her even though that happened! Although I'm sure things with IVF are a little different...I am sure things will go smoothly and nothing will interfere.

    Second, don't worry about the shots. I was freaked out too. It took all the courage I had to give myself that first shot. But then I realized that it was super easy and it didn't hurt AT ALL! I promise that you can do it! The needle is really thin and you don't even feel it going in. Well, I have more padding than you do...but still :)

    Thanks for the updates and we will be praying for you faithfully!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! You actually made me feel better about both of those issues. Those were the things that I'm really worried about. I will trust you that the shots aren't bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maelynne, I am so glad you are posting this!! We have and will continue to pray for you! If you seriously need help with the shots, I can up to your house if you want...but I promise just like Sarah said once you do it once, it's not as bad as you think.

    Keep the updates coming! I am so glad Tara convinced you to do this!

    ReplyDelete