Me and Erik

Me and Erik

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Bit Overwhelmed

Here is a link to my IVF calendar.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhP8vnyisplldGN3TDhodldJSG9WdDJ2eGRFSEJMX2c&hl=en#gid=0


Well, I finally feel as if we are really starting our IVF process. We've talked about it for so long that is seems strange that it's actually here. The first step is being on a birth control pill for 20 days. I started the pill at the beginning of the week. We also had our IVF class on Tuesday. We were in class with about 5 other couples. I'll be honest, it was a bit overwhelming. There was a ton of information thrown at us and at times it was hard to keep up. Although they will continue to send us reminders throughout the process on what I have to do for that day. At this point it is tough to look ahead and not be overwhelmed, so I have decided to just take it day by day.


The thing I am most nervous about is giving myself the shots. It's hard for me to imagine sticking a needle into my skin. Luckily most of them are given subcutaneously, meaning just under the skin,and the needles are pretty short. I have the option of giving those shots in my stomach or my thigh. Tara and I have talked about which one we would prefer to give ourselves the shot. Tara said thigh, I said stomach. The biggest thing is that I have to squeeze fat to put the shot into. My stomach seems to be the better option for that. :) There is one shot not listed on my calendar that will be given intramuscularly, in the muscle, and is a much longer needle. That one I will have Erik give me in the hip. That one is 2 shots just given one day before they go and retrieve my eggs. It's what is referred to as the "Trigger Shot".


I attached the link to my calendar of this whole process. Although it may bore most of you I will give a more detailed list of the whole process later this week because some people may be interested. For now I am tired and off to bed.


Please keep praying for us. Again this is a bit overwhelming for us both emotionally and financially. God is good and it's apparent how much He's been with us every step thus far.

2 comments:

  1. FYI- We are having technical difficulties with the calendar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. maelynne i so wish i could explain to you how easy the shots are- it is only the anticipation leading up to doing it that's terrible. when i gave myself the first shot, i almost laughed because i couldn't even feel it. after that, i didn't think twice about it.

    as far as the trigger shot, i have had a few. for my IUI cycle we did it at home but it was subcutaneous; the ones i've had at the doctor's office have been intramuscular. you will do great with all of it, i know! we'll be praying for you and thanks for the updates. have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete